Thursday, January 12, 2012

experience, strength and hope

This phrase is one of the most resonant for me, from the rehab family program over the summer.  I suppose I’d heard it used in Al-Anon but it didn’t strike me until hearing one particular speaker at program one night.  The nightly speakers at the house meetings were fantastic.  Most had done this type of thing for years, had many years of recovery under their belts, had their MO, their shtick, their shock value performances down.  This man was rather “newly” clean and sober (one year), (again), jittery, restless, somewhat uncomfortable, looked like he could use a smoke in his hand, not a polished speaker.  He was raw. 


He used this phrase several times.  He was both grateful for others having shared theirs with him, and hopeful that he could pass his along.   He was the best speaker of them all in many ways.   


I am so very grateful, and stronger, for my support groups’ experience, strength and hope.  I hope that I am paying it forward a little at a time.

2 comments:

  1. There are very powerful words - experience, strength and hope. Thanks so much for your thoughts. I hope every day we all seek to pay it forward somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete